Poisonous Food to Dogs

Ringwood Dogs

Foods Poisonous to Dogs: The Most Common Culprits!

Every year, a significant number of dogs end up at the vet after eating or drinking something they shouldn’t have. Sadly, our homes are filled with foods poisonous to dogs that we need to be aware of.

Unlike cats, dogs tend to not be as discriminating when it comes to what they eat; they will happily chomp down on something that is poisonous to them! Therefore, awareness around the potential hazards within the home is incredibly important in poison prevention.

In this article, we’re going to take a look at what household foods are the most common causes of dog poisoning, so you know to keep them far out of your dog’s reach.

Chocolate Poisoning in Dogs

While most owners know that chocolate is toxic to dogs, it still makes up for a significant portion of poisoning emergencies. This is usually due to the dog accidentally finding access to the food.

The amount eaten, the weight of the dog, and the type of chocolate ingested are all factors in the potential toxicity.

 If you’re unsure as to whether your dog has eaten enough chocolate to warrant a vet visit, please call your vet immediately to discuss and they will be able to advise you whether or not to bring your dog in.

Xylitol Poisoning in Dogs

Xylitol is a sweetener that is commonly used as a sugar substitute. It can be found in various products such as chewing gum, mints, sweets, peanut butter, toothpaste, mouthwash, and more.

Xylitol is very toxic for dogs, as it can cause a rapid decrease in their blood sugar to dangerous levels. This can cause symptoms such as vomiting, lethargy, collapse, and seizures. Immediate vet attention is advised if you suspect your dog has eaten a product containing Xylitol.

Onions and Garlic Poisoning in Dogs

Onions and garlic can also be a poison risk for your dog. This goes for their raw form and as an ingredient in other foods.

This is because they both contain a compound that damages red blood cells. This can then lead to the dog becoming anaemic, which in severe cases, can lead to organ failure or even death.

Garlic is more toxic than onions, with toxic ingestion being around 1 gram per pound of body weight for garlic, but 5 grams per pound of body weight for onions.

Grape and Raisin Poisoning in Dogs

Both raisins and grapes are toxic to dogs, although the poisonous substance is still unknown.

Symptoms include a loss of appetite, lethargy, dehydration, less or complete lack of urination, and abdominal pain. Without treatment, it can lead to kidney failure.

Just small amounts can cause a toxic reaction in dogs; therefore, you must get them checked out as soon as possible if you suspect they’ve eaten any!

Macadamia Nuts Poisoning in Dogs

Similar to raisins and grapes, it’s not known why these nuts are toxic to dogs, but they certainly are!

Ingestion of these nuts can cause weakness, lethargy, vomiting, ataxia, and hyperthermia. While macadamia nuts poisoning is generally not fatal, vet treatment is still recommended.

Symptoms usually resolve after a few days.

Foods Poisonous to Dogs – Prevention is Key!

The best thing you can do to prevent a sudden vet visit is to always keep foods poisonous to dogs out of reach!

However, accidents can always happen. If you suspect your dog has eaten or drank something they shouldn’t have, have them checked out by the vet.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to Top